An Education For Total Development Of The Child - Body, Mind, and Soul
We are blessed with a dedicated principal, faculty, staff, and pastor who are committed to our goal to develop and educate the whole child, body, mind and soul, through an academic program enriched with Christian values.
Saint Anne School offers Grades 1-8, Full Day Kindergarten, Full and Half Day 4-year-old Preschool, as well as on-site before and after school extended care. Tuition is negotiated on a case-by-case basis. Generous scholarships, financial aid, and tuition support are available for those who qualify. We want it known that no child will be turned away because of finances.
The History Of Saint Anne Catholic School
One Of The Diocese Of Pittsburgh's Original Catholic Schools
Saint Anne School is now in its 125th year! Founded in 1894, Saint Anne School (then known as The Sacristy School) was established and housed in the St. Anne Church building—moving to a small, one-room frame schoolhouse in 1894. The school served 15 students, taught by its first principals, Miss Flora Shafer, followed by Sr. Bernard Murphy. By 1899 the faculty consisted primarily of the Sisters of St. Agnes. The school welcomed the Sisters of Divine Providence to its faculty in 1905, and due to steadily increasing enrollment, the original one-room schoolhouse was expanded to include three floors in 1912. By 1954, the school building was renovated and expanded to accommodate an enrollment of 800 students. Enrollment peaked during the 1960s with some years exceeding 1600 students! Faculty at the time consisted of 32 teachers, including 21 Sisters of Divine Providence, with Sr. Concepta serving as principal from 1957-1963.
During the 1970s, there were fewer Sisters of Divine Providence available to teach in the school and by 1973, lay teachers outnumbered the CDP sisters for the first time while enrollment continued to average 80 students per grade. Additional renovations to the school building were completed in 1978 to what is the current structure. Sr. Rita Adams, CDP, served as the last CDP principal of the school until 1990 when Mrs. Cathy Jakubowski was hired by then pastor, Fr. Donald Breier, as only the second laywoman in the history of the school to serve as principal. The last full-time CDP faculty member was Sr. Diane Dunn, who taught at the school from 1988-1996. The school continues to enjoy strong leadership with its current principal, Mrs. Harmony Stewart, and the support of the people of Saint Paul of the Cross Parish and its current pastor, Fr. Michael Caridi.
Over the past several years, and throughout the years to come, Saint Anne School is committed to advancing its curriculum, technology, and facilities. The school offers competitive tuition and a variety of ways to meet the financial needs of any family wishing to enroll, including scholarships to qualified students through the Saint Anne School Angel Tuition Assistance Fund. The school is accredited by the Diocese of Pittsburgh and the Middle States Association Commission on Elementary Schools. Saint Anne School offers an education for total development of the child—body, mind, and soul.
Saint Anne School offers 4 yr. old Preschool (Half and Full Day), and Kindergarten through 8th Grade.